Dr. Tunc received his medical degree from Hacettepe University, Medical School in 1994. He completed his residency training in Urology from 1996 to 2001 at Gazi University, Medical School. In 2000, during his residency, Dr. Tunc was trained for male infertility at Istanbul Memorial Hospital, Department of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (REI).
In 2002, Dr.Tunc started to work as an attending physician at Gazi University, Medical School, Department of Urology. Between 2002 and 2011, Dr. Tunc was in charge of the Andrology Unit of the REI Department at Gazi University. During his term at Gazi University, he visited a variety of institutions to further develop his skills and knowledge. In 2003, Dr. Tunc was trained for urological laparoscopic surgery at the Southwestern University, Department of Urology. In 2007, he visited Heilbronn Hospital at Heidelberg University where he was trained in urological laparoscopic surgery.
In 2007, he became an associate profess or at Gazi University, Medical School. Since 2005, Dr. Tunc has shared his experience and knowledge with his Turkish colleagues and performed several urological laparoscopic surgeries (over 600) all around Turkey. Between 2005 and 2016, he coordinated 36 national and international courses and symposia.
In 2008, he developed his own technique known as the Tunc Technique and performed laparoscopic kidney surgeries using his own method.
Using his own technique, Dr. Tunc conducted live surgeries in a variety of countries including Germany, Greece, Egypt, Romania, Russia, and Italy. Dr. Tunc showcased his technique during a live surgery at the World Congress of Endourology in 2012. In 2012, he was elected to the European Association of Urology, Section of Urotechnology (ESUT).
Dr. Tunc also has experience in robotic surgery. In 2011, he completed his robotic surgery training in France. After his training, he began using robotic surgery on patients with prostate cancer. In 2012, Dr. Tunc was elected by the American Intuitive Surgical Company as a consultant surgeon for the Da Vinci Robotic Surgery. He performed live surgeries in a variety of congresses by using robotic surgery.
Dr. Tunc started using 3 dimensional views of his laparoscopic and robotic surgery images to train medical students. For this purpose, he also conducted live surgeries at student conferences and during medical student training events.
In 2012, Dr. Tunc was elected as an honorary member of the Romanian Urology Society.
In 2013, Dr. Tunc performed an operation with his own technique at the European Urology Society Congress in Milan, Italy.
In 2015, he started to practice the HoLEP method in patients with benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH). In 2016, he became a member of the London-based Holmium Academy and he became one of the 32 mentors for the academy.
In 2016, while working in the Department of Urology at Gazi University, he was promoted to the rank of professor. Currently, he is a Professor at Acbadem University and the Chief of the Department of Prostate Disorders Diagnosis and Treatment Center at Ankara Acıbadem Hospital.
International Live Surgeries
- Robot-Assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy, International Symposium on Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgical Techniques, 9th December 2016 Pleven, Bulgaria
- Holmium Laser Enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP),5th Meeting of the EAU Section of Urotechnology, 8th July 2016, Athens, Greece
- Robot-Assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy, 34th Advanced Applied Laparoscopic Urology & Endo-Surgery Course and Symposium, 16th October 2015 Padova, Italy
- Laparoscopic Transperitoneal Radical Nephrectomy,32nd Advanced Applied Laparoscopic Urology Course and Symposium, 8-9th June 2015 Baku, Azerbaijan
- Laparoscopic Transperitoneal Radical Nephrectomy,31st Advanced Applied Laparoscopic Urology Course and Symposium, 2nd April 2015 Moscow, Russia
- 3D Laparoscopic Transperitoneal Radical Nephrectomy, 28th International Applied Advanced Laparoscopic Urology Course, 25-27th September 2014 Cluj, Romania
- Robot-Assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy, 27th Advanced Applied Laparoscopic Urology Course and Symposium, 3rd-5th April 2014 Moscow, Russia
- Laparoscopic Transperitoneal Radical Nephrectomy,22nd Advanced Applied Urology Course and Mini-Laparoscopy Symposium, 6th April 2013 Moscow, Russia
- EAU 2013 Milan; L. TUNC, Laparoscopic Nephrectomy: upper pole dissection. 16th March 2013.
- Laparoscopic Transperitoneal Radical Nephrectomy, at WCE Sept 2012, Istanbul-Turkey.
- Laparoscopic Transperitoneal Radical Nephrectomy,15thInternational Course and Workshop on Advanced Laparoscopic Urology 27 April-1 May 2011 , Cluj-Napoca – Romania
- Laparoscopic Transperitoneal Radical Nephrectomy, 12th International Applied Laparoscopic Urology Course October 28-30, 2011, Cairo, Egypt
- Laparoscopic Transperitoneal Radical Nephrectomy,10th International Applied Laparoscopic Urology Course and Symposium September 16-18, 2010, Athens – Greece
- Holmium Laser Enucleation of Prostate (HoLEP),5th ESUT Meeting, 8th July 2016, Athens, Greece
Board Membership in Scientific Societies
- Board Member of Turkish Endourology Society (2009-2011, 2011-2013)
- Board Member of Turkish Urological Society of Central Anatolia (2011-2013)
- Board Member of International Society of Robotic Surgery (2012-2014)
- Board Member of Laparoscopic Urological Surgery Society (2008-2010,2010-2012)
Membership in Scientific Associations
- Turkish Medical Association
- Turkish Society of Andrology
- Turkish Infertility Foundation
- Turkish Urology Association
- European Society of Sexual Medicine (ESSM)
- European Association of Urology (EAU)
- European Society of Urology Training (ESUT)
- European Urology Residents Education Program (EUREP)
- Holmium Academy (2016)
- Effects of clinical, laboratuary and pathological features on successful sperm retrieval in non- obstructive azoospermia.
Güneri Ç, Alkibay T,Tunç L.
Turk J Urol. 2016 Sep;42(3):168-77. doi: 10.5152/tud.2016.45403.
- Detailed Surgical Anatomy of Prostate: Relationship between Urethra and Dorsal Vein Complex with Apex.
Tunc L, Akin Y, Gumustas H, Ak E, Peker T,Veneziano D, Guneri C.
Urol Int. 2016;96(3):260-7. doi: 10.1159/000443674. Epub 2016 Feb.
- Impact of testicular histopathology as a predictor of sperm retrieval and pregnancy outcome in patients with nonobstructive azoospermia: correlation with clinical and hormonal factors.
Guler I, Erdem M, Erdem A, Demirdağ E, Tunc L, Bozkurt N, Mutlu MF, Oktem M.
Andrologia. 2016 Sep;48(7):765-73. doi: 10.1111/and.12510.Epub 2015 Dec 20.
- Re: Is It Just Enough to Keep Long Membranous Urethra for Providing Early Continence After Robot-Assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy? (From: Haga N, Ogawa S,Yabe M, et al. J Endourol 2015;29:683-690).
AkinY,Tunc L. J Endourol. 2016 Mar;30(3):359-60. doi: 10.1089/end.2015.0470. Epub 2016 Jan 7. No abstract available.
- The evaluation of pulmonary function and blood gas analysis in patients submitted to laparoscopic versus open nephrectomy.
Koc A, Inan G, Bozkirli F, Coskun D, Tunc L.
Int Braz J Urol. 2015 Nov-Dec;41(6):1202-8. doi: 10.1590/S1677-5538.IBJU.2015.0040.
- A novel surgical technique for preserving the bladder neck during robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy: preliminaryresults.
Tunc L, Gumustas H, Akin Y, Atkin S, Peker T, Erdem O, Bozkirli I.
J Endourol. 2015 Feb;29(2):186-91.doi: 10.1089/end.2014.0459. Epub 2014 Sep 5.
- Laparoscopic nephropexy with polymer clips. Güneri C,Tunç L, Kiraç M, Biri H, Bozkirli I. JSLS. 2014 Jan-Mar;18(1):116-9. doi: 10.4293/108680813X13693422519235.
- The risk of arteriovenous fistula formation after en bloc stapling of the renal hilum during transperitoneal laparoscopic nephrectomies. Atkin MS, Tunç L, Batur AF, Kiraç M, Bozkirli I.
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2014 Feb;24(1):80-4. doi: 10.1097/SLE.0b013e31828f6721.
- Evaluation of applied laparoscopic urology course using validated checklist. Tunc L, Guven S, Gurbuz C, Gozen AS, Tuncel A, Saracoglu F, Istanbulluoglu O, Ozgok A, Ozgok Y.
JSLS. 2013 Apr-Jun;17(2):300-5. doi: 10.4293/108680813X13693422521313.
- In vivo porcine model for practicing retrograde intrarenal surgery. Tunc L, Resorlu B, Unsal A, Oguz U, Diri A, Gozen AS, Bedir S, Ozgok Y. Urol Int. 2014;92(1):64- 7. doi: 10.1159/000351420.
Epub 2013 Aug.
- Comparison of retrograde intrarenal surgery and mini-percutaneous nephrolithotomy in management of lower-pole renal stones with a diameter of smaller than 15 mm.
Kirac M, Bozkurt ÖF,Tunc L, Guneri C, Unsal A, Biri H.
Urolithiasis.2013 Jun;41(3):241-6.doi:10.1007/s00240-013-0552-0.Epub 2013 Mar 13.
- ESUT expert group on laparoscopy proposes uniform terminology during radical prostatectomy: we need to speak the samelanguage.
Rassweiler J, Laguna P,Chlosta P,Pansadoro V,Gaboardi F, Stolzenburg JU, Barret E, Liatiskos E,TuncL,FredeT,JohnH, BachmannA,vanVelthovenR. Eur Urol. 2013 Jul;64(1): 97-100.doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2013.01.014. Epub 2013 Jan 21. Review. No abstractavailable.
- Direct upper kidney pole access and early ligation of renal pedicle significantly facilitates transperitoneal laparoscopic nephrectomy procedures: Tunc technique. Tunc L, Canda AE, Polat F, Onaran M, Atkin S, Biri H, Bozkirli I.
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2011 Dec; 21(6): 453-7. doi: 10.1097/SLE.0b013e31823badc1.
- Effects of chronic treatment with valproate and oxcarbazepine on testicular developmentin rats.
Cansu A, Ekinci O, Serdaroglu A, Gürgen SG, Ekinci O, Erdogan D, Coskun ZK,Tunc L. Seizure. 2011 Apr;20(3):203-7. doi: 10.1016/j.seizure.2010.11.019.Epub 2010 Dec 18.
- The cold knife: a new laparoscopic instrument for ureteropelvic junction incision. Guven S, Kilinc M,Tunc L,Yuksel D,Ozgok A,OzgokY.
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2010 Sep;20(7):635-7.doi: 10.1089/lap.2010.0004.
- The use of polymer clips in transperitoneal laparoscopic nephropexy. TuncL,YesilS,Guneri C,BiriH,UreI,BozkirliI. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2008 Feb;18(1):124-6.doi: 10.1097/SLE.0b013e31815678d7.
- Laparoscopic nephrectomy for xanthogranulomatous pyelonephritis in the absence of kidney stones or clinical urinary infection. Tunc L, Biri H, Onaran M, Krac M, Yesil S, Bozkirli I.
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2007 Dec;17(6):570-2.
- A patient with antisynthetase syndrome associated with deforming arthritis and periarticular calcinosis sine myositis. Oztürk MA,Unverdi S,Goker B,Haznedaroglu S,Tunç L.Scand J Rheumatol.2007 May-Jun;36(3):239-41
- Pneumaticlithotripsyforlargeureteralstones:isitthefirstlinetreatment? TuncL,KupeliB, Senocak C, Alkibay T, Sözen S, Karaoglan U, Bozkirli I.
Int Urol Nephrol.2007;39(3):759-64.Epub 2007 Feb 22
- Can serum Inhibin B and FSH levels, testicular histology and volume predict the outcome of testicular sperm extraction in patients with non-obstructive azoospermia?
Tunc L, Kirac M, Gurocak S, Yucel A, Kupeli B, Alkibay T, Bozkirli I. Int Urol Nephrol. 2006; 38(3-4):629-35.Epub 2006 Nov 3.
- The impact of pelvicaliceal anatomical variation between the stone-bearing and normal contralateral kidney on stone formation in adult patients with lower caliceal stones. KupeliB, TuncL, AcarC, GurocakS, AlkibayT, GuneriC, BozkirliI. IntBrazJUrol.2006May - Jun;32(3):287-92; discussion292-4.
- Renal brucelloma: a rare infection of the kidney. Onaran M, Sen I, Polat F, Irkilata L, Tunc L, Biri H.
- Cytokine response to surgical stress: comparison of pure laparoscopic,hand-assisted laparoscopic, and open nephrectomy.
Matsumoto ED, Margulis V, Tunc L, Taylor GD, Duchene D, Johnson DB, Pearle MS, Cadeddu JA. J Endourol. 2005 Nov;19(9):1140-5.
- Effect of warmed, humidified insufflation gas and anti-inflammatory agents on cytokine response to laparoscopic nephrectomy: porcine model. argulisV,MatsumotoED,TuncL,TaylorG,DuchenneD,CadedduJA. JUrol.2005Oct;174(4Pt 1):1452-6.
- Value of ultrasonography and helical computed tomography in the diagnosis of stone- free patients after extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (USG and helical CT after SWL). Küpeli B,Gürocak S,Tunç L, Senocak C,Karaoğlan U,Bozkirli I. Int Urol Nephrol. 2005;37(2):225-30.
- Power Doppler ultrasound mapping in nonobstructive azoospermic patients prior to testicular sperm extraction.
Tunç L, Alkibay T, Küpeli B, Tokgöz H, Bozkirli I, Yücel C.
Arch Androl. 2005 Jul-Aug;51(4):277-83. Erratum in: Arch Androl. 2006 Jan-Feb;52(1):79. Aygün,C [corrected toYücel,Cem].
- Is varicocele a prognostic factor for determining sperm retrieval rate before testicular sperm extraction?
Tunç L, Gürocak S, Sözen S, Tan O, Alkibay T, Bozkirli I.
Arch Androl. 2005 Mar-Apr;51(2):159-64.
- Does tamsulosin enhance lower ureteral stone clearance with or without shock wave lithotripsy?
Küpeli B, Irkilata L, Gürocak S,Tunç L, Kiraç M, Karaoğlan U,Bozkirli I.
Urology. 2004 Dec;64(6):1111-5.
- Acute histologic effects of temperature-based radiofrequency ablation on renal tumor pathologic interpretation.
MargulisV,Matsumoto ED,Lindberg G,Tunc L,Taylor G,Sagalowsky AI,Cadeddu JA. Urology. 2004 Oct;64(4):660-3.Review.
- Stones in anomalous kidneys: results of treatment by shock wave lithotripsy in 150 patients.
Tunc L,Tokgoz H,Tan MO,Kupeli B,Karaoglan U,Bozkirli I.
Int J Urol. 2004 Oct;11(10):831-6.
- Serum levels of interleukin-18 and nitrite+nitrate in renal cell carcinoma patients with different tumor stage and grade.
Sözen S, Coskun U, Sancak B, Bukan N, Günel N, Tunc L, Bozkirli I.
Neoplasma. 2004; 51(1): 25-9.
- Management of ureteral stones with pneumatic lithotripsy: report of 500 patients. Sözen S, Küpeli B, Tunc L, Senocak C, Alkibay T, Karaoğlan U, Bozkirli I. J Endourol. 2003 Nov;17(9):721-4.
- Pelvicalyceal stone load: a factor affecting the outcome of extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy for renal pelvic calculi.
Küpeli B, Tunç L, Alkibay T, Karaoglan U, Bozkirli I.
BJU Int. 2001 Dec;88(9):854-7.
- "VirtualBasket" ureteroscopic holmium laser lithotripsy: intraoperative and early postoperative outcomes. Bozzini G, Maltagliati M, Berti L, Besana U, Calori A, Pastore AL, Gozen A, Govorov A, Liatsikos E, Micali S, Rocco B, Tunc L, Buizza C. Minerva Urol Nephrol. 2022 Jun;74(3):344-350.
- The "Omega Sign": a novel HoLEP technique that improves continence outcomes after enucleation. Tunc L, Yalcin S, Kaya E, Gazel E, Yılmaz S, Aybal HC, Yılmaz M, Tokas T. World J Urol. 2021 Jan;39(1):135-141.
- HoLEP after prostate biopsy: does it have any impact? Yılmaz S, Kaya E, Gazel E, Yalcın S, Aybal HC, Yılmaz M, Açıkgöz O, Özdemir H, Tunc L. World J Urol. 2021 Jul;39(7):2605-2611.
- Comparison of outcomes of Holmium enucleation of the prostate for small- and moderate-sized prostates. Yılmaz S, Yalçın S, Yılmaz M, Açıkgöz O, Aybal HÇ, Gazel E, Kaya E, Tunç L. Andrologia. 2021 Apr;53(3):e13970.
- Laser enucleation for prostates larger than 100 mL: Comparison of HoLEP and ThuLEP. Kaya E, Yılmaz S, Açıkgöz O, Aybal HC, Yılmaz M, Gazel E, Yalcın S, Suarez-Ibarrola R, Tunc L. Andrologia. 2021 Sep;53(8):e14125.
- Is 'Omega Sign' anatomical endoscopic enucleation of the prostate technique reproducible? Yılmaz S, Kaya E, Yalcin S, Gazel E, Aybal HÇ, Açıkgöz O, Yılmaz M, Guven S, Gozen AS, Tunc L. Andrologia. 2021 Sep;53(8):e14137.
- Simulation models and training curricula for training in endoscopic enucleation of the prostate: A systematic review from ESUT. Kallidonis P, Peteinaris A, Ortner G, Somani BK, Veneziano D, Tunc L, Gözen AS, Liatsikos E, Tokas T. Turk J Urol. 2021 Jul;47(4):250-259.
- Bladder neck sparing during robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy: Six-year experience. Yilmaz S, Ak E, Gazel E, Yalcin S, Yildiz KY, Tunc L. North Clin Istanb. 2021 May 24;8(3):269-274.
- Determination of Face and Content Validity of Cadaveric Model for Holmium Anatomic Endoscopic Enucleation of the Prostate Training: An ESUT AEEP Group Study. Tunc L, Bozzini G, Scoffone CM, Guven S, Hermann T, Porreca A, Misrai V, Ahyai S, Zor M, Aksoy E, Gozen AS. Eur Urol Open Sci. 2021 Aug 18;32:28-34.
- Impact of diabetes mellitus on urinary continence after holmium laser enucleation of the prostate due to lower urinary tract symptoms: a retrospective study. Acikgoz O, Yilmaz M, Aybal HC, Yilmaz S, Gazel E, Yalcin S, Duvarci M, Kaya E, Miernik A, Tunc L. Cent European J Urol. 2021;74(4):535-540.
- Share The effect of prostatic tissue density on the perioperative outcomes of Holmium laser enucleation of prostate (HoLEP): a pilot study. Kaya E, Gazel E, Yalcın S, Tokas T, Aydogan TB, Aybal HC, Tunc L. World J Urol. 2020 Feb;38(2):455-461.
- The effects of bladder neck sparing with an additional anterior urethral fixation on postoperative continence after robot-assisted radical prostatectomy. Gazel E, Kaya E, Acikgoz O, Yalcin S, Yilmaz S, Aybal C, Tunc L. North Clin Istanb. 2020 Nov 24;8(1):57-62.
- Indications, techniques, and role of new minimally invasive benign prostate hyperplasia surgical options. Yalçın S, Tunç L. Turk J Urol. 2020 Nov;46(Supp. 1):S79-S91.
- Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate for the treatment of size-independent BPH: A single-center experience of 600 cases. Yalçın S, Yılmaz S, Gazel E, Kaya E, Aydoğan TB, Aybal HÇ, Tunç L. Turk J Urol. 2020 Jan 17;46(3):219-225.
- Impact of metabolic syndrome on pre- and postoperative parameters in patients undergoing a HoLEP surgery. Aydoğan TB, Kaya E, Gazel E, Yalçın S, Aybal HÇ, Tunç L. Turk J Urol. 2019 Dec;45(Supp. 1):S98-S103.
- Descending laparoscopic radical nephrectomy and proven advantages in long term. Yalcin S, Gumustas H, Kaya E, Gazel E, Yilmaz S, Ak E, Tunc L. Arch Esp Urol. 2019 Nov;72(9):926-932.
- The role of laparoscopic experience on the learning curve of HoLEP surgery: A questionnaire-based study. Gazel E, Kaya E, Yalçın S, Tokas T, Yılmaz S, Aybal HÇ, Aydoğan TB, Tunç L. Turk J Urol. 2019 Oct 25;46(2):129-133.
- Prostate shape significantly affects the HoLEP procedure time and energy usage: A retrospective pilot study. Yalcin S, Gazel E, Somani BK, Yilmaz S, Tunc L. Minim Invasive Ther Allied Technol. 2019 Aug;28(4):220-226.
- The Utility of Diffusion-Weighted Imaging and Perfusion Magnetic Resonance Imaging Parameters for Detecting Clinically Significant Prostate Cancer. Cindil E, Oner Y, Sendur HN, Ozdemir H, Gazel E, Tunc L, Cerit MN. Can Assoc Radiol J. 2019 Nov;70(4):441-451.
- Comparison of the Efficacy of Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate in Treating Prostate Volumes of ≤80 and > 80 mL. Gazel E, Kaya E, Yalcin S, Aybal HÇ, Aydogan TB, Tunc L. Urol Int. 2019;102(3):306-310.